OSI Industries was founded in 1909 and has been providing its customers with the highest quality of meats and other food products ever since. The company was put together by a German immigrant by the name of Otto Kolschowsky who came to the United States in hopes of living the American dream. His company rapidly took off and become a global force to be reckoned with by the 1970s. Today, OSI is continuing to focus on its mission of expanding into new markets and offering its customers customized food solutions.
In 2017, OSI Industries made some improvements to its plant in Toledo, Spain, which allow the plant to produce 24,000 tons of poultry a year compared to the 12,000 ton capacity it was working with before. The upgrades to the plant costed close to 17 million euros, and along with a new assembly line, being added, the company included a modern surveillance system that includes cameras and a modern firefighting system. The company has been making improvements to make it a more sustainable company, and some of the improvements will reduce the plant’s electricity consumption allow it to recycle machine-created heat.
The reason that OSI Industries is looking to increase its poultry production has to do with data that is showing an increased demand for chicken products in the region and all over Spain and Portugal. During the last three years. demand has risen by over 8% and OSI plans on capitalizing on this demand by providing what people want. A new production hall at the plant will do just that, and to make its products even better. OSI Industries built a testing kitchen that where specialized chefs will create new and tasty food combinations for the company’s customers.
OSI Industries also recently purchased a former Tyson Foods plant in the south-side of Chicago. This plant will help it to provide more to its customers in the region as well as the United States, at-large. The plant was purchased for more than $7 million, and many of the employees of Tyson that were set to lose their jobs because of the closure were offered new jobs with OSI.
OSI Group, LLC is a private corporation of meat processors whose main operation is based in the food industry. It services food industries with products such as bacon, breakfastsausage, hot dogs, cooked beef and cooked beef, pizza and dough-based products. Sandwich assembly and smoked products.
OSI Group was founded 60 years ago in Aurora, Illinois, USA with the aim of processing and supplying value-added protein items among other food products. The group has since grown into a global venture with a 6.1 billion annual revenue turnover.
OSI Group has established locations in 17 countries and owns over 50 facilities. Its number of employees stands at 20,000. Sheldon Lavin is the current chairman and CEO of OSI Group, LLC. Its main headquarters is in Aurora. The group’s main customers comprise of retail brands and businesses in the food service industry.
OSI Group, LLC attributes its success in the food industry to:
- Its acquisition of other food companies, such as Baho Food, a company that operates in Germany and Netherlands, thus strengthening its hold in the food industry.
- Having an outstanding relationship with its suppliers and customers. Despite being a global venture, it takes the time to analyze and understand the local needs of its customers in various supply locations; by investing in local management teams. OSI has won the commitment and loyalty of its suppliers, customers, and partners by providing them with a sense of belonging; they can easily relate to its products.
- Its strength in sourcing for raw materials.
- It sets and observes strict standards during the production and product commercialization processes
- Its vast international network enables its partners, suppliers and customers easily access its products and services reducing costs incurred thus widening the profit margin.
- Great leadership from its previous and current CEO’s who have over the years steered the group in the right direction by focusing on the best growth techniques.
Recently OSI launched the opening of several plants globally which include: a feed mill with a capacity of 600,000 metric tons in Shandong, China, a beef processing plant located in Poland and a large cold storage area in one of its facilities at Babolna, Hungary.
One of its major future plans is to expand its presence in China further. According to MC Donald, President of OSI Group, China is one of the most promising countries regarding revenue. This is due to factors such as its economy and population; China has a rapidly growing population which means the customer base keeps widening. Also lately, China’s economy has been looking up which spells good news for companies operating in it.
MC Donald says that their appetite for growth is simply insatiable hence more is yet to come.